Allihies, Beara, Co. Cork, Ireland

A sense of place (Allihies, Beara, Co. Cork, Ireland) in eight images

Allihies town view
View of Allihies town
Nikon D7000
Landscape photography ; Nigel Borrington

Allihiies, Co Cork is one of my favourite places to stay In Ireland, We have spent some time here and I think it’s very likely we will return.

Mountains and setting

Allihies locational view

Allihies beach view

Allihies Mountain view

The town is located at the tip of the Beara peninsular, co cork and is just about as remote a place as you can get. The feeling here is of escape and as such is perfect for a week’s holiday.

The Harbour

Allihies Beach view

Copper Mines

The copper mines are the main feature of the town and the museum makes an excellent visit during the week we spent some time in here as it has a great coffee shop with a view of the harbour.

copper mines allihies mine on the hill

old miners cottage above mine

copper mines allihies pan1

I will re-visit Allihies over the next weeks with more posts as it is just a wonderful place

All Images taken on a Nikon D7000, in September 2010

1. I’ve read about, Cork, usually a murder mystery or something trivial, to take my mind off of how scary real life can be. The authors have done well in drawing in my mind what it looks like. They nailed it or I have a good imagination. Thank you for your weekend get away.- amy

April 25, 2013 at 11:44 am

• Hello Amy

Thanks for your like and comment!

Perfect, thats great to be able to match what you felt it looked like with some images. I love Co Cork very much. Allihies is a one off place anywhere but cork has many fantastic locations to offer!!

You will have to let me know which books!!

Nigel

April 25, 2013 at 11:55 am

• I’d be too embarrassed to tell you any books I’ve read. Its all brain candy! Please just keep showing & teaching me all about where you live, because I will never make it there. -amy

April 25, 2013 at 11:25 pm

• πŸ™‚ and 😦

Thanks Amy πŸ™‚

April 25, 2013 at 11:53 pm

• πŸ™‚ you’re welcome, Nigel. And thank you!- amy

April 26, 2013 at 10:14 pm

2. Hi Nigel. Wonderful place; you give us a good view. The photo with the chimney is my favorite. Thanks for sharing. Cheers, harrie.

April 25, 2013 at 1:43 pm

• Thank you Harrien, Yes Its a great part of the world! πŸ™‚

April 25, 2013 at 3:08 pm

3. Hi Nigel, beautiful photographs. I love the first one with the fog in the mountains. Okay, I love all of them. Thanks for posting. StephieLou

April 25, 2013 at 2:38 pm

• Hello StephieLou ,

I am very pleased you liked this post and the images, thank for your great commets!

Nigel πŸ™‚

April 25, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Wow – another breathtaking post Nigel! Completely bewitching and beguiling! : )))

April 25, 2013 at 8:53 pm