Achill island

A sense of place (Achill island, County Mayo) in ten black and white images ..

I don’t usually post images by themselves but I want these images just to speak for themselves ….

A walk on achill beach

A walk on the beach

Bringing in the sheep

Croaghaun achill island

Keem strand the old shed in the rain

Keem strand the old shed

Keem strand_Panorama

Molly on Keem stand

Molly on the beach

Two Boats

All images taken on a Nikon D7000, set to black and white and in September 2011….

Feel free to add some comments !

1. Lovely atmospheric captures πŸ™‚

April 23, 2013 at 1:34 am

• Thank you Dorothy, I love this part of the world.

Very pleased you enjoyed the images !

πŸ™‚ Nigel

April 23, 2013 at 9:36 am

2. After all of the photographs that you’ve posted and I looked at, I was beginning to wonder if it rained in Ireland anymore. Once again I enjoy the tones and compositions … and the content too.

April 23, 2013 at 2:54 am

• Hello Allan…

Thank you and I am very pleased you enjoyed them, Oh yes it rains !!!

When I got these onto the laptop I told myself to always have a camera ready in all weather.

Thanks Allan….. πŸ™‚

April 23, 2013 at 9:39 am

3. I love the expansive landscape that seems to go on forever. Even as most people imagine Ireland as saturated greens, you have captured her perfectly in subtle shades of grey and white. Just beautiful.

April 23, 2013 at 4:42 am

You see the world in tones and you never see it the same again !!!

On wet days its hard to get the best out of green, its just all dark green until the autumn, shoot in black and white and everything changes. On wet days you get lots of contrast from everything around you.

Thank you for your great comments Sharon πŸ™‚

Nigel

April 23, 2013 at 9:47 am

A beautiful photo-story Nigel! : )))

April 23, 2013 at 5:13 am

• Hello Anne ! πŸ™‚

Thank you, I love Achill it is Beautiful as you say πŸ™‚

Sometime we or I will go and stay for a full week, just a camera and one bag and my boots. Its like the land time forgot and when you land you forget anything you left on the main land! πŸ™‚

April 23, 2013 at 9:51 am

• 1annecasey

You certainly captured its spirit Nigel! It’s many years since I’ve been there, but I do remember how breathtaking it is! : )))

April 23, 2013 at 10:03 am

5. Great work!

April 23, 2013 at 6:08 am

• Thank you very much :), that’s a great thing to say!!

I just had a good look through your own site, fantastic images I will spend much time with them and your posts πŸ™‚

Thank you !!! πŸ™‚

Nigel

April 23, 2013 at 9:54 am

6. poppytump

No words needed ..
    I feel immersed in the irishness of it ..
    Very lovely Nigel .

April 23, 2013 at 11:16 am

• Hello Poppy πŸ™‚

Thank you for visiting and for your very kind comments πŸ™‚

Pleased you enjoyed

πŸ™‚

April 23, 2013 at 11:37 am

7. victoriaaphotography

Looks wet and gloomy weather, Nigel. I suppose it can’t be sunny and green all the time in Ireland.

April 23, 2013 at 11:55 am

• Hello Victoria,

Its was that day yes :), but I still wanted to record just how fantastic a place it was – so still got the camera working.

I love it there, just a wonderful landscape!

Thanks for your comment πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

April 23, 2013 at 1:23 pm

8. Other than the fantastic photography and the magic of black and white, I keep thinking that this has to be one of Molly’s favorite places to play!

April 23, 2013 at 1:28 pm

• Yes !!!!! πŸ™‚

You noticed that then πŸ™‚

She just loved the beach, water, water, water πŸ™‚

April 23, 2013 at 1:30 pm

9. Nice series. Peaceful, down to earth; surrounded by nature.

April 23, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Very pleased you enjoyed the post πŸ™‚

Nigel

April 25, 2013 at 11:13 pm

10. paulscribbles

A great series that really captures the Wild spirit that resides on Achill. Many happy memories from my one trip there. Thanks for helping to bring them back again.

April 24, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Pleased you enjoyed and remembered Achill…..

Nigel