Hampton Court

A day with Black and white film.

Hampton court 02

Nikon FM2n, Ilford’s HP5
Nigel Borrington

Some years ago myself and my brother and a friend Neil, headed to Hampton court to do some photography. It was the first time I had loaded Black and white film into my Nikon FM2 camera in a location like this so full of colour from the June flowers on display.

However Neil owned his own black and white dark room so Ilfordโ€™s HP5 it was. We spent about four hours at Hampton Court and then some hours processing the film making some prints and drinking a lot from what I can remember.

Hampton court 04

The images here are some of the results, I cannot find anything else. The prints are long gone so I have scanned any negatives I can find.

I am more than happy with these images and itโ€™s very interesting to look back and think about what I felt made a good image way back then.

Hampton court 03

Hampton court 01

Hampton court 05

Hampton court 06

Hampton court 07

Nikon FM2n, Ilford’s HP5
Nigel Borrington

1. …..even then….a great sense of composition….and all having perfect exposure and lovely tonal range.

April 9, 2013 at 10:41 pm

2. Thanks John !

I think one of them was a bit overexposed on the ground, but not bad for my first ever dark room visit. I remember at the time just being amazed to see anything come out!

April 9, 2013 at 11:09 pm

• For your first processing work, this is ace….I do miss the magic of working in the dark room.

April 9, 2013 at 11:23 pm

3. victoriaaphotography

Nice to look back at old photos. Like you say, interesting to see what you composed back then.

April 10, 2013 at 12:31 am

4. It’s very interesting looking back in time. You had a good eye even back. The photos are great! ๐Ÿ™‚

April 10, 2013 at 8:19 am