The Church window (North Mimms church)

North mimms church window

The window at North mimms church
Ilford XP2, 35mm film
Nikon FM2n
50mm f1.8 lens

The wonderful darks and contrasts in this shot is one of the biggest reasons I want to have a small go at using film again.

I will never use film again as my main medium but I am going to include it in a planned way for the most appropriate subjects and with black and white film only.

1. Nigel, It’s a very powerful singular image, dramatic even. Did you do any postproduction on this or is this the effect of the film? Nice one.

April 11, 2013 at 4:08 pm

• Hi Nicholas , Thank you….

No its strait out of the scanner, from what I can remember the lighting in the church did the work for me. What’s impressive about ilford XP2 is the dynamic range.

April 11, 2013 at 5:42 pm

• It certainly is a great dynamic range!

April 11, 2013 at 6:44 pm

2. I In this shot Nicholas yes, but that’s what I want to test again and hopefully find out… 🙂

April 11, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Stunning!

April 11, 2013 at 10:34 pm

4. Lovely tension in this (is that the right word?). Curious, did you have this shot in mind and wait for the light or …

April 14, 2013 at 6:24 pm

• Hello Allan..

Yes! I think that’s a good word and I like it a lot relating to this image, thanks

I did live just up the road from the church Allan, I would walk past very often and the light always amazed me in this building so I just had to take a camera in at some point..

From what I can remember I did a spot reading on the window, it was always dark in the church though, so it was always going to be a dramatic shot I think!

Nigel