The Glassblower a Poem by : Rhonda Baker

The Glass blower 2
Jerpoint Glass studios, County Kilkenny
Irish Photography : Nigel Borrington

The Glassblower

by, Rhonda Baker

Inside a building near the center of town
A glassblower’s love of glass is quite profound
With sweat on his brow and jacks firmly in hand
Lost in a piece oblivious to the land
People are gathered to observe the dance
To watch this unexpected miracle; as if by chance
To watch someone struggle with every fiber of their soul
To make the biggest, most colorful and stunning…Bowl?

The Glass blower 1.

It’s a madness for which no cure can be found
But one he’d gladly have, it’s that profound
For glass teaches a lesson that must be taught
Life; like glass must be wrought
And when illuminated, it shines so bright
Now seeing it’s beauty; what an awesome sight!

11/23/09
Rhonda Baker

1. I like this poem. During my Ph.D. years in Manchester, England, I had learnt and enjoyed the glass-blowing. It’s a great experience creating beautiful artwork, leaving one with amazing satisfaction and an awesome sense of accomplishment. Cheers!

December 5, 2013 at 4:38 pm

• Hello 🙂

Yes I can imagine that this was great fun and a wonderful thing to do, a great skill and Art.

I am from Manchester, now living in Ireland, its great to know you enjoyed your Phd 🙂 🙂

December 6, 2013 at 7:16 pm

• I enjoyed my stay in Manchester. I stayed in student accommodations on Oxford Street mainly, like Moberly Tower and Whitworth Park during ’79 to ’84. I am sure Manchester must’ve changed a lot since then. Ireland is a great place too, with friendly people, based on my experience long time ago.

Thanks for your note. Have a nice weekend.

December 6, 2013 at 9:45 pm

2. What a great poem 🙂

There is something mesmerizing about watching someone blow glass. Lava turned to glass…….alchemy and ancient all at once.

Lovely images, Nigel.

December 8, 2013 at 9:47 pm

• Hello Sharon 🙂

Thank you !!!

“alchemy and ancient ” yes what a great description – Perfect !!!!!

December 9, 2013 at 11:57 am

3. I was thrilled to come across this poem and photographs of James Long. James has been blowing glass at Jerpoint for almost 35 years. He’s an extremely skilled and passionate craftsman, which you have captured in your images.

With thanks

Sally Leadbetter
    Jerpoint Glass Studio

February 21, 2014 at 10:09 am

• Hello Sally 🙂

Thank you, Its a pleasure and thank you for adding more details about James to this post.

Your Studio is just wonderful as is the Glass craft that you produce 🙂