Mystery of a place – Castlemorris house and gardens
This old door and the stone shed it is attached to is all that remains of one of Ireland greatest ever country houses, The house had some 356 windows and belonged to the Montmorency family.
In its day in the mid-19th century, it was one of the finest (and largest) houses in Ireland at that time and compared well with Bessborough in Piltown.
Built around 1751 in the parish of Aghaviller, the Castlemorris estate was previously known as “Diore Lia” (a grey wood). Formerly home to the Morres and de Montmorency families, the family vault can still be seen in the local churchyard.
In 1924 the house was sold to the Land Commission. In the early 1930s it was unroofed and a demolition sale took place. Many parts of the house can be found in houses around the country.
The house itself was finally demolished in 1978. The grounds now merge with other Coillte woods, totalling approximately 2,000 acres in the district. Ms de Montmorency-Wright gave an excellent talk and should be complimented for her extensive research into her family and their association with Castlemorris.