A sense of place – Disused quarry on the river Barrow

Quarry on the river barrow 10
Fuji film X100, 35mm and 28mm lens , iso 100
Old quarry on the River Barrow, Co Kilkenny
Landscape Photography : Nigel Borrington

Some weeks back I first noticed the images of Sharon K and her blog Sunearthsky , Sharon’s second post was called urban sentries and I loved this image a lot, the locations of old disused factories and industrial sites I find a geat subject for photographic imagery.

Its taken sometime for me here in county Kilkenny, without going looking just for this subject matter to find a location that matches. About two weeks ago however I came across this old quarry along the banks of the river Barrow. Its of a large scale consisting of both the quarry area and the building used to crush the stone and store it, It looks like all the stone was used to make blocks or for use in concrete or on the roads.

The following images are a Gallery that I hope gets across a sense of this place and I hope Sharon likes them as Much as I liked hers.

Gallery images

Quarry on the river barrow 5

Quarry on the river barrow 1

Quarry on the river barrow 2

Quarry on the river barrow 3

Quarry on the river barrow 4

Quarry on the river barrow 6

Quarry on the river barrow 7

Quarry on the river barrow 8

Quarry on the river barrow 9

1. Fine series; great places, those deserted industrial sites.

June 26, 2013 at 2:33 pm

• Hello πŸ™‚

Thank you and yes just love the old place and getting some images !!!!

June 26, 2013 at 2:57 pm

2. These are terrific shots. I love the subject matter.

June 26, 2013 at 2:41 pm

• Hello Elen πŸ™‚

Thank you, very pleased you commented and liked the images….

Nigel

June 26, 2013 at 2:58 pm

3. Vertical photo of the facade with broken windows is easily the winner for me. Lovely shot full of unfinished words. Well IMHO anyway.. MM

June 26, 2013 at 2:53 pm

• Hello Mick

Thank you, I just love the place and it was full of old rusty and grubby colours, just wonderful πŸ™‚

June 26, 2013 at 3:00 pm

4. Nigel these are just wonderful, what a find!! That first shot could be any number of working grain elevators in the Midwest. How odd for such a place to sit in the midst of green space along a serene river! Are there other sites nearby or at least a paved road?

I love the five rusty barrels and also the platform with the wheels/cogs. The blue/green glass in the windows is oddly beautiful, isn’t it? As for the warning sign, well anything that stern of course demands that you walk right past and see what all the fuss is about πŸ™‚

Thank you for sharing these! You made my morning!!

πŸ™‚

Sharon

June 26, 2013 at 3:20 pm

• P.S. – I think the first shot is my fave :-).

June 26, 2013 at 3:22 pm

• Hello Sharon…. πŸ™‚

I am very pleased you enjoyed these πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Yes I was wondering the same thing!

The river Barrow was I think one of Ireland biggest used rivers for boats in the past and I can only think that they must have used it to transport the stone up-to Dublin or down to Waterford for export.

Yep, Sign – what sign – oh that sign – ah well !!!

June 26, 2013 at 3:27 pm

• πŸ™‚

June 26, 2013 at 3:55 pm

5. Vicki (from Victoria A Photography)

The images of the broken windows and crumbling concrete walls are interesting – I like the textures of old broken things.

June 27, 2013 at 2:45 am