Finding art in nature, natural compositions.

Rock art 2
Natural compositions, Lichen and rock
Photography : Nigel Borrington

Finding art in nature, natural compositions

I am a strong believer that nature itself is an artist and that all artists are doing really is to seek out and highlight to other people what elements of our natural surroundings interests themselves the most.

I took sometime away from my Blog this weekend and had an almost technology free time, walking and relaxing and just taking time to look and take in some new locations and subjects.

I took a walk through one of our local forests here in County Kilkenny and while taking a rest for a moment I noticed some Lichen formations on the rocks around me. These rocks themselves had amazing colours from the mixed amount of Minerals that they contained, the Lichen which dies back in the summer months had left some very interesting patterns.

I feel the resulting images are worth sharing as I liked very much the colours and textures produced on this rock surface, I also liked the compositions that could be found while moving the camera around the these Lichens.

Gallery

Rock art 1

Rock art 3

Rock art 4

Rock art 5

Rock art 2

1. Lichen is an interesting subject. Having met a a few lichenologists and seen the kinds of photography possible (like above) I a keen to try!

July 7, 2014 at 1:00 pm

• Hello Victor πŸ™‚

You should have a go yes , the colours and textures that they produce are just amazing, I would love to see your results πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

July 8, 2014 at 10:23 am

2. Stunning images and lovely commentary Nigel! : )))

July 7, 2014 at 1:23 pm

• Hello Anne πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Very pleased you enjoyed πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

July 8, 2014 at 10:23 am

3. Interesting post…..images are fascinating…

July 7, 2014 at 3:06 pm

• Hello Rob πŸ™‚

Thank you , very pleased you like the post and thanks for your comment πŸ™‚

July 8, 2014 at 10:24 am

4. thanks for sharing the lovely images Nigel. I’ve only come across that black speckled lichen once – in Northern Ireland. Surprising really as where I used to live on the Isle of Skye was abundant with different lichens.

July 7, 2014 at 8:44 pm

• Hello Mari πŸ™‚

A pleasure πŸ™‚ , thank you

Yes I was very pleased to see this , we have some but its not easy to find πŸ™‚

July 8, 2014 at 10:26 am

5. M-R

I know you won’t be insulted when I say that you’re not the first photog. who’s been fascinated by the beauty to be found in lichen, Nigel. πŸ™‚
    But you have shown it delightuflly !

July 7, 2014 at 10:00 pm

• Hello Margaret πŸ™‚

I can imagine so πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

I am not Insulted no , I always view Art including photography as an act of self discovery.

I don’t think it matters if anyone has been down the same path before because someone will have been in any case.

I don’t mean to jump on you about this but its a chance to say it , i.e. someone once said to me there is nothing new in art, its all been done. The important thing is, have you been down the paths you feel you want to before and are they your own paths.

This really stayed with me, there are no new ways to paint, draw or photograph, its how you reflect on your world that counts.

Absolutely no insult there then πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Thank you Margaret, great comment and very pleased you enjoyed the post !!!

July 8, 2014 at 10:39 am

• M-R

And it’s quite true, of course – after a fashion. But every individual artist’s work is wonderful. And you are not a long way down the queue, my dear ! πŸ™‚

July 8, 2014 at 12:27 pm

6. poppytump

Like something from under a microscope for sure . I love the colour combinations of these lichens the yellow / greys .

July 8, 2014 at 9:16 am

• Hello Poppy πŸ™‚

Yes isn’t it πŸ™‚

I just loved the deep colours produced and the patterns are very Celtic , nature is the best designer of them all !!!:)

July 8, 2014 at 10:27 am