The Bridge Builder , Poem by : Will Allen Dromgoole

The Bridge
The Bridge at the Vee, County Tipperary
Photography : Nigel Borrington

The Bridge Builder

By Will Allen Dromgoole

An old man going a lone highway,
Came, at the evening cold and gray,
To a Valley vast and deep and wide.
Through which was flowing a sullen stream
The old man crossed in the twilight dim,
The sullen stream had no fear for him;
But he turned when safe on the other side
And built a bridge to span the tide.

“Old man,” said a fellow pilgrim near,
“You are wasting your strength with building here;
Your journey will end with the ending day,
You never again will pass this way;
You’ve crossed the chasm, deep and wide,
Why build this bridge at evening tide?”

The River falls

The builder lifted his old gray head;
“Good friend, in the path I have come,” he said,
“There followed after me to-day
A person whose feet must pass this way.
This chasm that has been as naught to me
To that fair-haired person may a pitfall be;
They, too, must cross in the twilight dim;
Good friend, I am building this bridge for him!”

The River

1. M-R

I kinda feel there’s MEANING in this poem … But the photos are better.

May 29, 2014 at 8:35 am

• HI

I feel the meaning Margaret is to think about others and look after their feelings and safety as well as being along our own paths. If others want to take the same path to help them to do so 🙂 🙂 🙂

Thank you for you very kind comments about the images 🙂 🙂

As you know I love mixing images and words and I felt this poem as very close to the feelings I had the day I was doing this walk !!!

The people who built this bridge helped others by allowing them to get access to a wonderful part of the world 🙂 🙂 🙂

May 29, 2014 at 10:39 am

2. This is wonderful! The photography and the poem… There is so much in this poem, but I won’t go into all my thoughts. However, one of my thoughts is that not only should we focus on achieving our personal dreams or destiny, but we should be mindful of those coming behind; a legacy, if you will. We should make sure that the bridge (be an example) we build is sure and strong, filled with integrity and skill, moral and true; a firm foundation. It’s okay for those who follow to reach their dreams too!

May 29, 2014 at 2:10 pm

• Hello Sf 🙂 🙂

Thank you , I am very happy you enjoyed the post 🙂 🙂

and

Over the Moon that you got all the wonderful meanings behind the Poem and Images 🙂 Thank you for adding to it is such a great and very welcome way 🙂 🙂 🙂

May 29, 2014 at 10:34 pm

3. Nigel, what a beautiful post this is. Thanks ❤

May 29, 2014 at 7:34 pm

• Hello Hanna 🙂 🙂

Thank you , Over the moon that you like it 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

May 29, 2014 at 10:35 pm

• Smiling a lot ❤

May 30, 2014 at 9:44 am

4. Love the poem. As always, the images are beautiful.

May 31, 2014 at 12:16 am