Classic Irish homes

Classic Irish house 1
Images take using a Nikon D7000
Classic Irish Home, County Tipperary
Irish landscape photography : Nigel Borrington

When I first came to live in Ireland, one thing I really noticed what the different architecture around the country.

While many homes in both Ireland and main land Europe can and do look the same, I started wondering what the classical Irish house looked like, Well this house sitting on the borders of county Tipperary and Kilkenny to myself is it.

Rectangular with it’s five windows at the front and an arched red front door, this house is so classically Irish in nature that I would now see it as the classic 1900’s Irish home.

These houses could both be a Farm house with the Farm yard at the back or a town house sitting with a garden at the back and the street at the front.

Classical 1900’s Irish home

Classic Irish house 2

Classic Irish house 3

1. I suspect that these went to Australia with the Irish immigrants at the time. Some still remain but they were unsuitable for the climate and the predominant style had wide verandas for shade and cooling – also more roof to capture rain. Always great photos.

October 9, 2013 at 10:14 am

2. The lack of windows really stands out to me. We would die here if our houses were like that. We have lots of windows on our houses even the older ones. I love the differing architecture. It’s so interesting. Wonderful photos πŸ™‚

October 9, 2013 at 11:45 am

• Hello Norma πŸ™‚

Yes, the windows are small, I think it was to keep them warm inside, when the winter came πŸ™‚ no double glazing in them days

Thank you, Morma very please you commented πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

October 9, 2013 at 12:14 pm

• Yes you have less windows to keep you warm and we have more to keep us cool. Our summers can be horrendous here as can be your winters. Opposite ends of the scale :0

October 9, 2013 at 12:23 pm

• Hi Norma πŸ™‚

Yes, that very true and funny, sometime here on a summers day a fire is still on the go πŸ™‚ :), we had a good summer this year.

I think people worked outside so much in the summer that they never truly noticed the lack of light in the house !

October 9, 2013 at 12:27 pm

• Well I get to experience a real winter for 5 weeks this year when I go to London, Paris and Rome. I’m looking forward to it πŸ™‚

October 9, 2013 at 12:29 pm

• That Great Norma, πŸ™‚

Bring you water proofs and brollie and enjoy every moment πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰

That’s a great trip and what city’s you will love it !!!

October 9, 2013 at 12:33 pm

3. Very informative post and lovely shots…nice way to start my day!

October 9, 2013 at 2:16 pm

• Hello Navery πŸ™‚

A pleasure and thank you for your great comment πŸ™‚

October 9, 2013 at 5:50 pm

4. I was always fascinated by the old stone cottages with the two rooms, (one for the animals) and the space overhead. I have always found it amazing to imagine so many living under one small roof. I can remember a very elderly lady in Killybegs living in one such a house with the dresser and open fire with hanging pot. I came from Dublin a world away from such a house. Great post and pictures as always.

October 9, 2013 at 4:45 pm

• Hello Tric, I do love these old places and I think it’s because of the life style people had too.

They could tell so many stories πŸ™‚

Thank you Tric, great comment πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

October 9, 2013 at 5:47 pm

5. These are so lovely and homey looking! The countryside setting is such an ideal photographic scene!

October 12, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Beautiful tribute to a very iconic looking Irish farmhouse. Another lovely slice of rural social history artfully captured Nigel.

October 17, 2013 at 1:06 pm