Ballymartin Windfarm , County Kilkenny

Ballymartin windfarm 02
Ballymartin Wind farm, County KIlkenny
Irish Landscape Photography : Nigel Borrington

The hills above Mullinavat, County kilkenny offer some wonderful landscape views of south Kilkenny. I love walking around the lanes up here as it is so remote and peaceful.

Over the last 5 years these hills have become a home to a new feature in the landscape, the Ballymartin wind farm, I took these images on an evening walk back in February along with a couple of images of the surrounding landscape.

While I do understand that many people did not want these wind turbines here, I don’t personally have anything against them, they do offer a better solution than a coal powered power plant. I guess it is unlikely that a coal plant would have been built in this location but these turbines maybe stopped one being built in another place.

They are almost graceful as they make use of the wind rushing across the surrounding hills.

Gallery

Ballymartin windfarm 01

Ballymartin windfarm 06

Ballymartin windfarm 04

Ballymartin windfarm 03

Ballymartin windfarm 05

Ballymartin windfarm 02

1. Controversial that one! But I have to agree with you, there are far worse eyesores!

March 28, 2014 at 2:37 pm

• Hello ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes , I know , very with some poeple !!!!

Just commenting on how I feel walking past them , they are kind of ok and placed away from any houses.

Hum ?

March 28, 2014 at 2:42 pm

2. Great photo but a bit like marmite – love or hate them!!

March 28, 2014 at 3:41 pm

• Hello Diana ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you !!

Yes and I do feel the same myself , walking around them I cannot truly bring myself to dislike them but the some part me says I should ?

Maybe its a personal amazement at how well they are constructed and how they look, I don’t know.

I am very open minded and cannot fall one way or the other!!

My only aim was to document them with some images, I guess that’s how I see my interest in photography ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ , recording thing that are where they are !!!

March 28, 2014 at 4:42 pm

3. Much more graceful than cell phone towers. We have whole corridors of those (cell phone towers) here. Butt ugly.

March 28, 2014 at 5:12 pm

• Hello Elen ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes I agree with that ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ thank you !!!

March 31, 2014 at 4:44 pm

4. Nigel, you can make anything look beautiful! P

March 28, 2014 at 6:40 pm

• Hello Patsy ๐Ÿ™‚

AW !!

Thank you !!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

March 31, 2014 at 4:45 pm

5. Nice work Nigel. Similar thoughts to yourself – they can make great graphic images. Probalby right not to allow in the really high ranges in Kerry, Connemara, etc though.

March 28, 2014 at 7:35 pm

• Hello Aidy ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes I fully agree there , in their right place they can only help the environment ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

March 31, 2014 at 4:46 pm

6. Funny picture and interesting composition the one with the dog. Nice shot ๐Ÿ™‚ All of them โค

March 28, 2014 at 9:38 pm

• Hello Hanna ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Very pleased you liked it !!!

March 31, 2014 at 4:47 pm

7. M-R

I wish I could like ’em, but I can’t, and that’s that. Where they’ve been placed is largely where landowners want the money – far from small beer ! – rather than wanting any eco-credentials. They have too many cons and not enough pros.
    Photos are nice, if you like the subject. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

March 28, 2014 at 10:28 pm

• Hello margaret ๐Ÿ™‚

Your more than welcome to feel that way , I full understand ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

March 31, 2014 at 4:48 pm

8. I guess it’s easy to think these things are ugly until you actually encounter them in real life. They are indeed “bigger than life”! I find them somewhat surreal in their overpowering essence. When I drive through hill after hill of them I start to think of them as a sort of majestic forest. I still remember the first time I encountered a wind farm (in northern California) and I was totally stunned by the hugeness of it all. Years later, I still am.

March 28, 2014 at 10:57 pm

• Hello Alli ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

I think that is true , I am not sure if its a liking of them as such more an interest in how modern and almost sculptural they are !!!

March 31, 2014 at 4:50 pm

9. Molly dear now did you hear the thing that’s going round??? : )))

March 29, 2014 at 12:39 am

• Hello Anne ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Hee Hee !!

Molly is always in of these thing’s Monty , thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

March 31, 2014 at 4:51 pm

10. Beautiful images, Nigel. I always enjoy the sight of turbines on the landscape and take comfort knowing they’re a clean, sustainable source of power. I also hope they’re a source of money for the farmers who lease the land for them. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

March 29, 2014 at 2:26 am

• P.S. – Hello Molly! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

March 29, 2014 at 2:28 am

• Hello Sharon ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes I feel that that’s true ๐Ÿ™‚ , they do stand tall but take up such little ground space , Sustainable is the big word here ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you !!! ๐Ÿ™‚

March 31, 2014 at 4:53 pm

11. No doubt new generations will see wind turbines as a natural part of the landscape, just as nobody seems to object to road and rail networks, cities that grow like cancers over the land and so on. After all, where in Europe do you find nature untouched by man and where no sound except the natural is to be heard? We’re just a conservative lot that do not like change. Sustainable power sounds good to me.

March 30, 2014 at 9:26 am

• Hello Freddy ๐Ÿ™‚

You make a great point ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Cleaner of all solutions I feel !!!

I fully get the not here people but unless they all go off the coast lines , we still need power !!

?