Hay Bales – Black and white

Round Bales black and white 1
Hay Bales, coolagh, County Kilkenny
Landscape Photography : Nigel Borrington

Make Hay while the sun shines

This time of year in county kilkenny brings many great subject to take photographs of, Freshly cut fields of hay are most definitely one of them. June and July have been wonderful warm months and the farmers have been very lucky at last. This Time last year we had weeks of heavy rain and even floods.

I captured these Hay bales before they were rapped, early morning when the mist still sat on the fields, it lifted soon after but I feel it made for some great images.

Round Bales black and white 2

Round Bales black and white 4

Round Bales black and white 3

1. Mist and straw bails, can’t beat them for a subject – (well you can, but if they’re at had to photograph like this then it would be daft not to explore the possibilities! ;)) .

July 23, 2013 at 11:58 am

• Hello Stephen…

Yes I think that’s right, It was great fun playing with these and trying to get good and different compositions some options just didn’t work others did. Great tester ! πŸ™‚

July 23, 2013 at 12:36 pm

2. Vicki (from Victoria A Photography)

Yes, certainly great subjects.
    Love the photos you took.

July 23, 2013 at 1:06 pm

3. Lovely shots, Nigel. Beautiful light! The black and white nicely enhances the mist and those low clouds :-).

July 23, 2013 at 1:16 pm

• Hello Sharon,

Thank you, yes I still love black and white images. I love just thinking about tone’s not colour. Thank you very pleased you like them πŸ™‚

July 23, 2013 at 1:47 pm

4. artscottnet

Amazing. Excellent shots, love the fog and the light in these.

July 23, 2013 at 2:17 pm

• Hello Scott ..

Thank you πŸ™‚ very welcome and helpful comment πŸ™‚

July 23, 2013 at 4:55 pm

5. Modern round bales are a long way from Monet’s “Haystacks”…but still interesting, especially in monochrome.

July 23, 2013 at 3:36 pm

• Hello Alli πŸ™‚

Yes, the closest I can find locally is the square bales no one has the time or interested to do it the old way any more. I remember seeing some old photo’s and it took almost everyone in the family to construct the old stack’s (Farming families here use to be very big πŸ™‚ )- I should find those old photo’s and post them….

July 23, 2013 at 5:01 pm

• Yes you should. But you would have to explain them because most people would have no clue what they are!

July 24, 2013 at 1:42 am

• Hello Alli…

That’s very true, I will get going on this and Get some info to explain. The labour that went into farm work use to be amazing, now you see a John Deer turn up and two hours later the field is cut and the round bales produced. It would be great fun to get some comments as to the time that went in πŸ™‚

July 24, 2013 at 2:15 pm

6. These bring me back to my holidays when I was small. Happy days.

July 23, 2013 at 5:45 pm

7. Just WOW.

July 25, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Wow – who knew hay-bales could look like works of art! Your genius really comes through when you choose such apparently banal subjects Nigel! Pure magic.

August 1, 2013 at 12:45 pm

9. Someday I will walk in your shadow, so that I may find all the beauty, history & magic that you find. So if you hear me behind you, just pretend you didn’t. Amazing work. -amy πŸ™‚

August 5, 2013 at 6:31 am

• Hello Amy πŸ™‚

That’s a lovely think to say, πŸ™‚

If I here you near me, your more than welcome to take the front, I could learn lot’s from yourself I am sure πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

August 5, 2013 at 10:49 am