Using old lenses , Hoya M42 28mm f2.8

Hoya 35mm M42 1
Hoya M42 , 28mm f2.8 lens

Using Old M42 lenses on a digital SLR

Hoya 35mm M42 11
M42 lenses fit to the camera body using an adaptor for the body you own.

Over the years that I have been taking images using SLR cameras both film and now Digital, the items that I have always show the most interest in are the lenses I have Purchased.

These days lenses are usually purchased as a secondary item to the camera body, with all the dazzling features and technology that goes into cameras and marketing them, it is easy to forget just how important an item a lens is.

It is the lens that produces the image, the camera just records this image and if its a great lens then your image stands a good chance of being so too.

Something that becomes very clear to you, the longer your into photography is that for the most part, lens technology the parts of the lens that really create the image, has been very good for a long time. Little development is needed with the type of glass and the coatings that are used on the lenses.

Most of the development today is with adding lens features such as image stabilisation, the process of moving some of the lens elements to allow for any movement in the camera while it is being held in your hands and help produce a stable image.

So just how far back do you have to go to get a good if not great lens ?

Hoya is a lens filter and lens coating company, they have done huge amounts of research and development over an very long period of time. you may know of them mostly through their UV filters that are attached to a lot of peoples lenses.

Back in the 1970’s along with a lens manufacture Tokina they also sold a limited number of great lenses, I am lucky enough to own a Hoya 28mm f2.8 M42 lens in very good condition, it cost Β£50 in 1975. I have used this lens for many years for Landscape work and have always been very happy with its results.

This is a fully Manual lens , No auto focus, no stabilisation, No auto exposure and just perfect for Landscapes.

I feel that landscape photography should take a little time and the fact that everything is fully manual with this lens, just adds to this experience. You have to think through all the settings and this extends into your thoughts about what your taking images of.

I feel that this Hoya lens is one on the best I have for reproducing great colours, contrast and sharpness.

The Gallery below is just a quick sample of some very recent images taken using this lens.

Hoya M42 28mm, f2.8 lens gallery

Hoya 35mm M42 15

Hoya 35mm M42 12

Hoya 35mm M42 14

Hoya 35mm M42 6

Hoya 35mm M42 7

Hoya 35mm M42 8

Hoya 35mm M42 9

Hoya 35mm M42 10

1. Vicki (from Victoria A Photography)

Great shots, Nigel. It looks a very sharp lens and obviously gives good results.

March 5, 2014 at 12:23 am

• Hello Vicky . πŸ™‚

Thank you !!!!

Yes I like this little lens a lot, it great fun to use when you have lots of time to set-up πŸ™‚

March 5, 2014 at 5:23 pm

2. Can’t argue with results like those.

March 5, 2014 at 12:56 am

• Hello πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Thank you , that’s a great comment – Many thanks !!!

It’s great to share these results just in case someone was wondering πŸ™‚

March 5, 2014 at 5:24 pm

• I think it’s always interesting to see what other folks are doing. There are always new things to learn. You have an excellent blog Nigel.

March 6, 2014 at 4:38 am

3. Verra nice!

March 5, 2014 at 1:42 am

• Hello Elen πŸ™‚

HAhaha !!

March 5, 2014 at 5:25 pm

4. Lovely looking lens! Are these images shot on digital?

March 5, 2014 at 8:23 am

• Hello Andrew πŸ™‚

Thank you !!!

Yes , they are from a Nikon Dslr πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

March 5, 2014 at 5:26 pm

5. I couldn’t agree more Nigel. Though I have a few new lenses, I also have a selection of old manual focus lenses. They’re Minoltas, so they’re not of the super high-end quality, but they are really, really fantastic to use. I may almost prefer manually focusing over auto focus and have gotten quite good at locking in the focus on my boys. They give me better practice than anything.

Great post! And the sharpness on the ripples in the pond shots is remarkable.

March 5, 2014 at 7:58 pm

• Hello Shane πŸ™‚

Thank you !!!

Its easy to forget just how big Minolta were in the days of film , I have heard some very good things about their lenses, Don’t Sony purchase them for their Digital SLRs ?

I love manual focusing, you feel much more in control, I always feel like I am having to trust the autofocus system, then wait an see. Autofocus is good but it’s such fun to trust your own eyes again !!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Very pleased you enjoyed the post Shane πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

March 8, 2014 at 10:56 am

• You’re right, Sony did buy Minolta and the two systems work quite well together.

Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

March 8, 2014 at 3:36 pm

6. poppytump

I think everyone is agreed πŸ™‚
    Lovely to see how good equipment stands the test of time and the results speak for themselves . The clarity in these images is terrific Nigel .

March 6, 2014 at 1:39 pm

• Hello Poppy πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Yes That’s very true , i think I will have these old lenses for a long time yet , I hope !!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Thanks Poppy πŸ™‚